- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 1 hrs 15 mins
- Serves: 4, Yield: 1 whole chicken
- 1 large chicken, rinsed in cold water and patted very dry, inside and out with paper toweling ( 2-2.5 pounds)
- 1/2 of a can beer ( 6 ounces of a 12 ounce can, any brand, any variety)
- 1/3 cup paprika
- 1/3 cup salt
- 1/3 cup black pepper
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- Mix 4 dry ingredients together.
- Use this rub inside and out of the cleaned, dry chicken. (Here is where I would change it by separating the skin from the bird and put the rub right against the meat...do you know what I mean??)
- Be generous.
- Place 1/2 can of beer in center of roasting pan.
- Position"bottom" of chicken over beer and slide chicken over the can of beer until the chicken is"sitting" upright in the pan.
- The fit will be snug and chicken will be secure.
- Roast uncovered at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- Do not baste, do not turn pan.
- The beer will steam the chicken deliciously.
- When done, carefully remove can of beer from chicken and serve.
- Chicken can also be carved while"sitting" on the beer can. I have"tortured" 2 or 3 chickens in the same roaster and did not have to adjust cooking time.
When I did this recipe I BBQ'd them one with a beer and the other with a can pepsi. The beer one was super moist as was the pepsi but the meat had a hint of sweetness to it.....It was very yummy too!! Well will be doing many of these this summer I am sure. If you have a spice rub that is better than this please share in the comments or email if you want it kept a secret.
On another note does anyone know if real cheddar cheese slices can be frozen then thaw and used normally? I know of people doing this with shredded cheese but not slices.......fricken KIDS!!!! No comment!