Our supper from last night was so good I thought for sure the girl would have fought it for sure as she is not a fan of casseroles at all no matter what is in it! This would be great to take to a pot luck as well I made it in a much larger glass dish and it turned out wonderfully! The only this i did different was the refried beans we used had green chilies added and the boy wasn't a fan at all so plain beans for sure next time and I will make my taco meat like I do for taco salad! (Add Catalina dressing!) Also this apparently originally came from Taste of Home years ago!
Fantastic Taco Casserole
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Servings: 7-9
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packages taco seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) cans refried beans
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, divided ( or mixed cheddar, jack etc.)
- 1 cup salsa ( I prefer mild, but if you would like to kick it up a notch, go for it)
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 (2 1/3 ounce) cans sliced black olives
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 cups corn chips ( coarsely crushed or chopped)
- Brown ground beef and drain.
- Add taco seasoning and cook according to package directions, adding proper amount of water.
- Put corn chips on bottom of 8x8" dish.
- Cook refried beans on stove until hot.
- Add 1 cup cheese and 1 cup salsa. Stir until combined.
- Pour beans over corn chips in dish.
- Add beef to top of beans.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over top.
- Sprinkle green onions and black olives over cheese.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven until the cheese is sufficiently melted.
- Take out of oven and sprinkle chopped tomatoes on top. Wait 1-2 minutes and then serve.